Friday, February 25, 2011

Pink and Other Colors

Very few people are not fascinated by colors. as a child, my favorite color was the innocent and fresh baby pink. by the time i hit my late teens, i went to the dark side. black and grey became my favorites. i positively hated any bright color. light blue, baby pink, lime green, orange, red...they didnt stand a chance of entering my closet. i was specifically allergic to pink. my closet consisted of clothes in grey, black and to add a dash of color, navy blue. my friends knew that to make me happy, all they had to do was give me something in grey. never mind the shade of grey, anything was fine. then in my 3rd year at college, i wore orange. a bright shade of orange. i was at risk of becoming the talk of the college and people thought i must be in a trance or must be "in love". :D

So to cut the long story short, my relationship with colors has been a rather dicey one.

I do not know if it is to do with the general acceptability that accompanies old age or plain boredom because of lack of colors (only literally) in my life, but i have started to believe that any color is good as long as the texture is right. even a safe color like black can be completely ruined on a tacky synthetic-material. probably most of the vibrant colors look pretty good on light materials like linen and cotton. i have been following the  Pantone Color Matching System  for a 3-4 years. just for kicks. fortunately (or otherwise) my line of profession doesnt need any special talent for discerning colors. each year, Pantone declares a "Color of the Year", which becomes a standard for fashion merchandise among other uses. so when they announced that this year, the lucky color was Honeysuckle  , i was rather alarmed.

Honeysuckle Flower
Pic Courtesy: www.pantone.com
They have chosen pretty nice colors like iris blue, tulip violet, mimosa, chilli pepper in the previous years. but this honeysuckle thing was shade of pink. but well, like i said previously, as long as they get it on a right texture, i will take pink in my stride too.  

On a very different yet related note, i recently saw a guy wearing a baby pink (yes, baby pink) shirt and beige trousers. to put it mildly, he was a rather good-looking guy. and i knew that whatever happens that day, i would bear it all. with a smile on my face. i would only need to close my eyes and picture Mr. Baby Pink and Beige. if only i had these kind of sightings more often ! siggghhhh....the little pleasures in life....!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment